Re: [Groff] Silly question? TrueType fonts

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Silly question? TrueType fonts
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 18:11:21 -0400

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> > ... Since I have freetype 2.0.6
> > on this system, I had to play with the headers to get
> > ttfto42 to compile. But it worked. ...
>
> Are you sure that it really works?  FreeType 2 and FreeType 1 (the
> latter is needed for ttfto42) are two completely different things...
>
> Links to FreeType 1 can be found at www.freetype.org; you should
> download the current development version (freetype-current.tar.gz).

Freetype version 1 headers are available to version 2
programs -- I had to change the includes to (for example)
#include <freetype1/freetype/ftxpost.h> and everything
compiled. So I *assumed* that FT2 is compatible with FT1.

The .afm file it generated had the "registered" character
listed, so I would have expected that afmtodit would have
picked it up. But the "rg" character isn't listed. My first
guess is that the textmap file I used (the one under the
font/devps/generate) isn't right for the font.

But I'm open to other suggestions. I guess I'll start by
hunting down a freetype1 lib....

--
Larry Kollar   k o l l a r  at  a l l t e l . n e t
"Content creators are the engine that drives value in the