[Groff] top_builddir problems

From: Colin Watson
Subject: [Groff] top_builddir problems
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:15:22 +0100

If one regenerates the groff configure script with autoconf >= 2.52f (as
the maintainer of the Japanese patch and I both found ourselves doing
when applying that patch), top_builddir ends up being set to an empty
value, and the build fails.

I believe this is due to an autoconf change on 2001-09-23:

2001-09-23  Akim Demaille  <address@hidden>

        * lib/autoconf/status.m4 (_AC_SRCPATHS): Compute and provide
        ac_buildpath, ac_top_buildpath, ac_srcpath, and ac_top_srcpath.
        (_AC_OUTPUT_FILES): Also substitute srcpath, top_srcpath,
        builddir, buildpath, top_builddir, and top_buildpath.

(There are other changes later that rename some of those variables
around a bit.)

Is it a bug in autoconf that top_builddir can end up empty? Should I
just move to building in a subdirectory and avoid the whole issue?

I've attached the output of 'sh -x ./config.status --file=Makefile'.

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden