Re: [Groff] hyphenation and grohtml

From: Stewart Russell
Subject: Re: [Groff] hyphenation and grohtml
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:58:29 -0400

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

PS: An interesting alternative would be to do almost the opposite:
    inserting soft hyphen characters at all possible hyphenation
    points.  Of course, this would increase the size of HTML files a
    lot, but it could improve the appearance of the text.  Are there
    browsers available which honour shc?

I hadn't read your message when I sent my off-list reply. Yes, HTML4 browsers should honour ­, but many are kinda iffy on that front.

I fear that the commercial product that told you about that does just what you said may have a patent on the process. Yes, patenting the obvious, as usual.

 Stewart