[Groff] german groffinfo translation

From: Erich Hoffmann
Subject: [Groff] german groffinfo translation
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:16:27 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

some weeks ago there was the idea of trying a german translation of
groff documentation, perhaps starting with the groff.info.  (My original
Idea was to translate the planned paper on macro writing.)  Now I'm back
from vacation and I'd like to give it a try.  If it won't do, or if I'm
just the wrong one to do that or if it turns out to be to big a project
for me, ok. that remains to be seen.  I understand that there is _no_
such such project at the moment.  If there is, I't rather participate
than doing it on my own.

Well there are some questions and preliminaries, and I think I'll need
some supervising, be it only to prevent that I do something like
``friends, romans, countrymen, lend me your ears'' ==> ,,Freunde,
Roemer, Landsleute, verleihen Sie mir Ihre Ohren``  :)  I'm not a
programmer nor a groff hacker, on the contrary I hope to learn
something. So:

(1) To begin with I wonder whether this world wide group is the right
    place to diskuss my try and its results.

(2) I guess there are existing conventions for the translation of key
    terms like ``request'', ``trap'' oder ``leader'' etc. (not to
    mention the licence) that I can't possibly know, and there
    might be several problems of this sort.  Then, there will be cases
    in which I don't get the idea and the sense of the original text.
    In short I'd like to have someone who looks at what I'm doing from
    time to time.

(3) A reasonable way I think could be is (but is it really?) that I take
    the groff texinfo.texi source code and just replace the english text
    by the german version so that the node structure remains the same.
    Writing texinfo will be ok., there is a chapter in
    Welsh/Dalheimer/Kaufman ``Running Linux'' that seems sufficient.
    I've some bits of experience with Latex.  ---  The tarballs at the
    groff homepage don't seem to contain the texinfo source.  Or didn't
    I look close enough?  If I'd try the translation, where can I get
    the groffinfo.texi source, or how am I to manage this more technical
    side?

Well, I have translated some English, that was in the last millennium,
but never did a job like this.  I can only promise that I try.

Cheers,

erich.