Re: [Groff] additions to autoconf files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] additions to autoconf files
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:02:46 +0200 (CEST)

> > 1) Most header include files used within groff are not even tested on
> > being present.
>
> I don't think it is the autoconf way to check for *every* header
> file.

Exactly.

> Some are just going to exist or we're in trouble,
> e.g. groff-getopt.h.

This is part of the package itself.  I won't test for its existence.

> Some will always exist or we haven't got a C compiler,
> e.g. assert.h.  And some are implied by the presence of others,
> e.g. X11/IntrinsicP.h.

autoconf already defines a macro to test for the presence of libraries
and header files of X.  I'm relying on that and won't add new tests
except there is some trouble.

> I think Werner just has to check for ones that can sometimes be
> missing and put a workaround in for those cases.  That's not saying
> that some of the above don't fall into that category.

The current policy is to add a test only if there is a failure on a
particular system.  Today, there are many standards like POSIX which
define a lot of header files, and most operating systems follow it.
Older platforms are dying so I really don't see a reason to blow up
the configure script with those tests.