Re: [Groff] Requirement for Recent makeinfo.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Requirement for Recent makeinfo.
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 14:35:34 +0200 (CEST)

> I recently saw someone point out that a `make all' for CVS groff now
> requires a recent enough makeinfo to avoid errors in the doc
> subdirectory.  Unfortunately, I haven't got that so a CVS build no
> longer completes successfully.
>
>     $ rpm -qf `which makeinfo`
>     texinfo-4.0b-3
>
> I was wondering if there could be a configure option along the lines of
> --disable-doc since many people that could previously build groff may
> falter on the next release due to this new dependancy.

Hmm, I consider all people building directly from the CVS as
`developers', expecting that they have the necessary tools.  Note that
a distribution package will contain the proper info files so that a
user normally don't need to run makeinfo at all.

Latest texinfo is available from

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/texinfo

> BTW, `cd doc && make' works fine because the all target does
> different things in doc/Makefile and doc/Makefile.sub.  Is this
> intentional?

Yes.  The `Makefile' file is intended to build additional
documentation in various formats which won't be distributed in the
groff-xxx.tar.gz package.