[Groff] Re: OS X Compilation

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: [Groff] Re: OS X Compilation
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 14:34:53 -0400 (EDT)

Just to explain my difficulties in getting groff to compile.

(1) make complains that there are conflicting C and C++ declarations of
mkstemp.  THis is fixed by adding -DHAVE_MKSTEMP to the Makefile.

(2) The next error:

test -d examples || /Users/goulding/Desktop/groff-current/mkinstalldirs
examples
test -f examples/penguin.ps || cp
/Users/goulding/Desktop/groff-current/contrib/mom/examples/penguin.ps .
GROFF_BIN_PATH=`echo /Users/goulding/Desktop/groff-current/roff/groff
/Users/goulding/Desktop/groff-current/roff/troff
/Users/goulding/Desktop/groff-current/devices/grops | sed -e 's| \+|:|g'`;
export GROFF_BIN_PATH;
/Users/goulding/Desktop/groff-current/src/roff/groff/groff
-F/Users/goulding/Desktop/groff-current/font
-M/Users/goulding/Desktop/groff-current/contrib/mom -Tps -mom
examples/macros.mom >examples/macros.ps
troff: fatal error: can't find macro file om
make[2]: *** [examples/macros.ps] Error 1
make[1]: *** [contrib/mom] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

(3) Now, I next tried issuing the make command from bash, with the SHELL
variable set to /sw/bin/bash, because I thought it might be a problem with
tcsh -- I got the same result.  But at some point (can't remember how) I
managed to get past this error; but then there was a huge string of error
messages that .defcolor and (I think) .fchar were not valid requests.

So, any ideas?

Robert