[groff] PDF problems - see attached file

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: [groff] PDF problems - see attached file
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:19:47 -0400 (EDT)

Dear all:

I've created the simplest possible file to demonstrate the ligature
problem I'm having.  rubbish.ms contains nothing but fi/fl words.  I used
the latest snapshot groff 1.18 to create rubbish.ps, which looks fine in
gv.  But rubbish.pdf (created with ps2pdf, GNU gs 7.05) has serious
problems.  The first page is fine; *every* ligature in the second page is
wrong (too much room left for fi, not enough for fl).  It would be good to
narrow this down and figure out which program is responsible.  So could
you try:

1: Looking at the the .ps and .pdf files to check that they do look as I
describe, and that this is not an artifact of my system.

2: Processing the .ps file with whatever version of gs you're using (and
Distiller?) to see if the fault is with my release of Ghostscript.

If the fault *can* be repeated by any other distiller, then I guess this
must be a groff bug...

Thanks, Robert.