[Groff] Marginal Annotations

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: [Groff] Marginal Annotations
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 09:59:48 -0400 (EDT)

Some time ago, someone posted to this list a very useful macro for placing
annotations in the margin (which I've attached at the end).  I've tried
this with -ms, and it seems to increase the gap between paragraphs when
used like this:

.PP
<some text>
.PP
<the second paragraph>
.PP
.MS
A note.
.ME
<the third paragraph>

The gap between paragraphs 2 and 3 is noticeably larger than that between
1 and 2.  Am I doing something dumb (I've only been using groff for a
week!).

Thanks,
Robert.

.ev margin-ev
. ps 8
. vs 9
. ft R
.ev
.de MS
. ev margin-ev
. di margin-di
. sp .25
. po .4i
. ll .6i
..
.de ME
. br
. di
. ie (\\n[dn]+\\n[nl])>=(\\n[.p]-\\n[FM]) \{\
. tm Margin message is too big at line \\n[.c]
. \}
. el \{\
. margin-di
. sp -\\n[dn]u