Re: [Groff] initi in mm

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] initi in mm
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 14:49:12 +0100

Hi Erich,

> .INITI file_base
> .H 1 "My Title"
> .INITR file_base

Although groff_mm(7) suggests INITI's type parameter is optional by
saying the default is `N' the code looks to require it, as does the man
page's summary line -- there are no brackets around it.  (RH 7.2's
groff-1.17.2-7.0.2.)

> To be a bit more verbose, some time ago Ralph kindly helped me with
> the .INITR macro.  This didn't work at first, until I compared the
> tmac.m -file in my debian potato 2.2 (version 1.32 , 1999) with the
> m.tmac in a SuSe distribution (version 2.4, 2001) and copied the
> .INITR-passage from the version 2.4 to my v1.32.  So I tried the
> version 2.4 again for .INITI, but this time groff complains about not
> having specified the INITI file.  Thus, I'm using a ``revised'' tmac.m
> version with everything including .INITI from 1.32 and the .INITR
> specification from 2.4 and this works well but for one point mentioned
> above.

If you've got a mix-and-match installation this makes it harder for
others to reproduce your results, so they're less inclined to try.  Even
if you have to leave your main installation alone, you may wish to
install a standard groff release elsewhere and report problems against
that version.

Cheers,

Ralph.