[Groff] Re: intermediate output command `F'

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Groff] Re: intermediate output command `F'
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:29:21 +0100

Hi Werner,

> I know that the intermediate output command `F' is no longer used by
> grohtml, and I wonder how it can be converted to something useful.
>
> Currently, `F <filename>' is emitted as soon as a file is read by
> troff, but there is no indication that a file has been finished.  I
> suggest to implement two things
>
>   . A new request `.file <name>' to give a name to the current file.
>
>   . The output command `F' without a parameter should pop the current
>     filename off from the filename stack (which doesn't exist yet).
>
> Comments, please.  If you think that it is not worth the effort, I
> will drop the `F' command completely.

obviously from the user perspective it will be unseen.  However - it
will make debugging device drivers much easier especially if the line
number is also pushed and popped from the stack with the filename.

I would vote in favour for this feature - as it's presence
is often asked for every 6 months or so I believe..

Gaius