[Groff] initi in mm

From: Erich Hoffmann
Subject: [Groff] initi in mm
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 13:43:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

I've problems with the -mm macros.  I wanted to write something with
both cross-references and an index.  So I inserted .INITI and .INITR.
But now groff outputs the contents of the file_base.ind at the place
where the .INITR macro is.  So

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~This code:
.INITI file_base
.H 1 "My Title"
.INITR file_base
Here we
.IND we
have an Index
.IND Index
for me.
.INDP
EOF
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~gives:
My Title

we  1Index  1

Here we have an Index for me.

Index   1
we      1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obviously I can place the .INITR on top of the file followed by a
.bp request and suppress the printing of the first page, but isn't there
a more elegant workaround?

To be a bit more verbose, some time ago Ralph kindly helped me with the
.INITR macro.  This didn't work at first, until I compared the tmac.m
-file in my debian potato 2.2 (version 1.32 , 1999) with the m.tmac in a
SuSe distribution (version 2.4, 2001) and copied the .INITR-passage from
the version 2.4 to my v1.32.  So I tried the version 2.4 again for
.INITI, but this time groff complains about not having specified the
INITI file.  Thus, I'm using a ``revised'' tmac.m version with
everything including .INITI from 1.32 and the .INITR specification from
2.4 and this works well but for one point mentioned above.

Hope this not hopelessly beneath the level of this group.

Best,

erich.