[Groff] [bug] fractional point sizes and the ms macros

From: P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: [Groff] [bug] fractional point sizes and the ms macros
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 19:30:00 -0500

At 02:45 p.m. 03/04/2002 +0200, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

Since groff allows fractional point sizes, the register
".s" returns point sizes as decimal numbers.  Eqn tries
to saves these sizes in normal number registers which,
however, can hold only integers and therefore truncate
the value.  Thus, when the point size is restored from
such a saved value (for example, after an inline equation),
we end up with a different size than we began with if a
non-integer pont size was in effect before.

I wonder if this is related to the limitations of font size in ms.

Try the attached test files. You'll notice that:

1. You can't set fractional font sizes. (And sizes can be nothing different to 10, 11, or 12 point size).

2. You can't use any kind of dimensional unit, therefore you can't use relative point nor absolute point sizes.

And the me macros... Are even worse!

I can use fractional sizes with the mm macros soo...

Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/
Lo que Natura non da, Salamanca non presta.
            Francisco de Quevedo y Villegas