[Groff] Re: problem with -Thtml and groff_char.man

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: problem with -Thtml and groff_char.man
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:04:57 +0100 (CET)

> > PS: Where can I get a *complete* list of character entities for
> >    various HTML versions?
>
> html2.0   http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_13.html#SEC13
> html3.2   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32
> html4.0   http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html

Thanks to you and all the others who have sent similar info!

> Was this incorrect right clipping or vertical alignment problems?

IIRC, horizontal lines are clipped incorrectly.  Please try to find
my old message; it depends on the used resolution -- I've probably
hit a worst case.

> I meant to nullify many of the characters used when constructing
> equations and generating html-4.0 text.  For example when processing
> Lester's papers gtroff would give many undefined character warnings
> when it was performing the html pass (not so for the PS pass
> obviously).  Perhaps this was the wrong solution - maybe it would be
> cleaner to check the suppression \O value - and if we are
> suppressing output then we should also ignore undefined characters?
> I hope this doesn't have any nasty knock on effects though?

Hmm, what about doing this during the html pass, avoiding a call to
eqn completely:

  .de EQ
  .  ig EN
  ..
  .de EN
  ..

The same for pic and probably other preprocessors also.

This is just a quick idea, so maybe I'm totally wrong...