[Groff] problem with -Thtml and groff_char.man

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] problem with -Thtml and groff_char.man
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:36:42 +0100 (CET)

Gaius,

the man page groff_char.man exhibits at least three bugs in grohtml.

  . The first line of the character table (starting with `!') is in
    the same line as the table header.

  . I think there is no ``' character entity in HTML -- my
    browser doesn't display it, and I couldn't find a reference.

  . It is not clear to me what the following comment and translations
    in html.tmac are really doing:

      .\" Now set any characters defined in devps/S but not in
      .\" devhtml/S to nul -- these are generated by eqn but not used
      .\" by grohtml.  grops generated images during the alternative
      .\" pass.
      .if !c\[*y] .tr \[*y]
      .if !c\[fa] .tr \[fa]

    This causes a lot of empty entries in groff_char.man which
    shouldn't be there at all.  It looks like that you tried to fix a
    bug which introduced another one.

Finally, I ask you to have a look at ec.tmac: I suggest that we use
this method to introduce support for various HTML versions (but no
styles); the standard character entities should be HTML 4.0 (or newer
if this exists); specifying, say, `-mhtml32' selects character entity
support for HTML 3.2, etc.

    Werner

PS: Where can I get a *complete* list of character entities for
    various HTML versions?