[Groff] Bug: HTML driver and accented characters

From: P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: [Groff] Bug: HTML driver and accented characters
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:51:33 -0500

For academic interest (and testing the new hyphenation capabilities [1]) I just tried a couple of Spanish documents with the HTML driver. And what I saw wasn't pretty. It ate up all the accented characters!

i think that the HTML driver should output all characters in some unicode vector (perhaps UTF-8?), add the appropriate META tag and let the browser deal with the display, Even the popular text based browsers can handle unicode.

[1]As far as I can tell, the modifications to the hyphenation reading mechanisms are working fine with an unmodified copy of the CervanTeX approved hyphenation patterns (no, not the ones included with teTeX, but the ones by Julio Sánchez based on the work of José A. Mañas --- sphyph.tex).
--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/