Re: [Groff] doc/groff.texinfo fix

From: P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] doc/groff.texinfo fix
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 04:56:39 -0500

At 07:50 a.m. 19/03/2002 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

[snip]

These fixes are no longer necessary; 4.1a (the pretest for 4.2) has
introduced address@hidden' for a backslash within a @math environment.  I expect
4.2 to be available very soon.  It also fixes other serious bugs which
groff.texinfo needs.

Good to know!

[snip]
Why have you added this?  They are completely useless in info and html
mode.  Both modes can't handle typographical features.

[snip]
The same as above.

It seems to me that your fixes are either not necessary any more or
don't work as expected.

Just to have Texinfo 4.0 process the files cleanly to both the info and html targets. Never claimed either it was more than a hack nor that I have understood texinfo ever (has been my bane since its first version :).

Anyway, thanks for testing.

BTW. I think the real problem is that Texinfo doesn't have (at least the version I have installed, 4.0) a true conditional branching mechanism. There should be something like @if<format> blah @else blah @end if<format>. Does version 4.2 implement some sort of similar mechanism?

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/