Re: [Groff] plain ascii w/o control chars

From: P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] plain ascii w/o control chars
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:34:18 -0500

At 02:34 p.m. 12/03/2002 +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I have some manpages containing numerous .B, \fB and \fI
> > directives.  How do I generate plain ASCII output, WITHOUT ANY
> > CONTROL CHARACTERS OR ESCAPE SEQUENCES??
>
> Use the -Tascii switch to nroff (or groff), and pipe the output
> through 'col -b' to turn bold and underline formatting into plain
> text.

No need for an external tool.  With old groff, try this:

   groff -Tlatin1 -P-b -P-u ...

With the current development version, do

   groff -Tlatin1 -P-c -P-b -P-u ...

(groff -Tlatin -P-cbu ... will work also).

I already suspected it was as trivial as such, but it is one of those things you always wanted to know, but were afraid to ask.

It is good news, because to compile col under Cygwin I was going to have to hack first a compilable version of libbsd44 -- as it comes in BIND 8.x.x (and that *is* beyond me).

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/