Re: [Groff] Musings on the adding of fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Musings on the adding of fonts
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 02:26:59 +0100 (CET)

> It could be if the kerning was included in a type 2 multiple state
> table.

*Very* unlikely (at least currently).

> As far as I know, only QuickDraw GX fonts (presently know as AAT
> fonts) and OpenType fonts use this kind of table. But this should
> not be a problem to anything using freetype 2.x in the back end.

FreeType 2 doesn't have built-in support for that.

> No. It is the fonts supplied by your vendor. I have never seen a
> truetype font released by Hewlett-Packard that had kerning, nor the
> previous versions first by Miles, Inc. nor later by Elsewhere (each
> bought the previous in due time).

Believe it or not, well designed fonts very often don't need
hinting.   But this is another topic...

> Once upon a time I had access to a copy of the HP-LJ4 specifications
> manual for the LJ4 and I saw the kerning tables with my own eyes
> (should have made a copy).  Unfortunately, this information is lost.
> I tried to get a copy of the book and or the digital files from them
> about 4 years ago and they told me that the product was
> "discontinued".  Perhaps you can do something with the metrics files
> available at CTAN/fonts/ljmetrics.

The original metric files for the LJ4 are available from

  ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/faxes/software/tfmlj4.exe

(at least they were about two years ago).