[Groff] Cross-references

From: Christian Jensen
Subject: [Groff] Cross-references
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:43:42 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out an easy way to handle cross-references.
Rather than using the solution found in Aho & Sethi's paper
(http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/127.ps.gz), I decided ona simple one:

When I insert a table or figure (to which I need to refer) I increment a
number register and write a .ds command which sets a string <name> to this
value to a file. In the second pass I then load this file which sets up
the entire system of reference names to numbers (runs the list of .ds
commands).

It seems to work (using the me macro pkg), and I am attaching it to this
mail so that others who might need it can look at it, and those of you who
know better can comment on all the flaws :).

Christian Jensen