Re: [Groff] tmac man pages

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] tmac man pages
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:59:40 +0100 (CET)

> The directory <groff_source>/tmac/ contains some man pages that
> should be moved to a different location.  If there aren't any
> objections I will do the following:
>
> - Move all man page source files from tmac/ to man/.

I say yes and no at the same time :-(

If we had files related to, say, mdoc, in the subdirectory tmac/mdoc,
then I would vote against it, leaving groff_mdoc.man at the same
place.

But the current chaos is not ideal.  Looking at the TeX Directory
Structure (tds.dvi, attached -- I strongly suggest that everyone who
wants to discuss this topic reads this), I think the following
directory structure makes sense, *both* for the source distribution
and after installation (everything else is hard to maintain).

   tmac/                            groff input files
     macros/
       <macro package>/             e.g. `mdoc', `mm'
       generic/                     format-independent packages
         language/                  language-specific files
         hyphen/                    hyphenation patterns
         misc/                      single-file format-independent
                                    packages (e.g. trace.tmac, a4.tmac)
     devices/
       <device>/                    e.g. `grotty'
     preproc/
       <preprocessor>/              e.g. `eqn'

To support this, I will add recursive file searching sooner or later.

For consistence with the location of other man pages, I prefer to have
then e.g. groff_man.man in the tmac/macros/man subdirectory of the
source tree.

So for the moment, I won't change anything, except moving
groff_tmac.man to the `man' directory -- this file is really at the
wrong place.