Re: [Groff] Re: new grotty format

From: Rick Richardson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: new grotty format
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 05:51:52 -0600

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 07:44:06AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
> Most terminals indeed support SGR for bold an underline these days.  But
> I was talking about programs which read Groff's output and do something
> with it: those programs expect the traditional `man' \b type of bold and
> underline, not the SGR escapes.  I don't think there was any significant
> movement towards SGR in that area.

OTOH, at least some of those programs which read Groff's output don't
handle the defacto overstrike conventions, either.  For example,
"enscript" recognizes underline but not bold. "a2ps" recognizes bold
but not underline.

Here is a chance, at the cost of a bit of forced transitional pain, to
make it easier for those kinds of programs to recognize underline,
bold, and color with a single state machine.

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson  address@hidden        http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/
Stock information at your fingertips:   http://linuxtrade.0catch.com/

BSDi gets bought by Wind River. The wheel of OS reincarnation will be
completed when Microsoft resurrects XENIX.