Re: [Groff] Possible Difference Between Bell Labs and GNU?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Possible Difference Between Bell Labs and GNU?
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 13:31:37 +0100 (CET)

> Here's GNU pic.
>
>     % ( echo .PS ; echo line dotted ; echo .PE ) | pic
>     \h'0.050i'\v'0.000i'\D'l0.000i 0.000i'
>
> And AIX pic, probably similiar to Bentley's.
>
>     $ ( echo .PS ; echo line dotted ; echo .PE ) | pic
>     \h'0.050i'\&.
>
> So GNU ends up producing PostScript that draws a line from point X to
> point X resulting in a very pale dot.  Bell Labs use a full stop.

The `very pale dot' has exactly the same line thickness as lines.  A
normal text dot is thrice as big.  Are the lines in the old image
thrice as thick also?  I've tested to add the `thick' attribute to the
dotted lines, but this doesn't produce nice results (equally bad as
the -n option of pic).  So inserting

  pic linethick=1

at the beginning of the dformat block might be the solution.