Re: [Groff] [off] micro-typography

From: Thomas Baruchel
Subject: Re: [Groff] [off] micro-typography
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:37:19 +0100

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 02:50:40PM -0000, Ted Harding wrote:
> The one person I know who has demonstrated a true
> gift for creating the kind of macro which might
> achieve it is Thomas Baruchel (he does nearly
> impossible things in diversions)!

Speaking of me... I didn't play with groff for a long while because
I was very occupied. For a week I read all messages on the list sent
since this summer. Many interesting topics. I will now have more time,
and will try again to do crazy things with groff ;-)

By the way I have 1.17. Is something better now available ?
Are there new features?

My first attempt was not good; too slow. I now have a cluster-based
algorithm that can minimize the variance of length (which isn't exactly
length of all spaces in a line) of lines in a paragraph. Since it isn't
heavy at all, I will perhaps manage to do something with it in groff.
But the idea of keeping the paragraph unformatted and play after a computation
with \H'' or kerning isn't bad. I saw once (in the Gutemberg magazine
devoted to LaTeX) a sample of paragraph with no justification (only the
left margin) with constant space length (!!!) whose right marrgin was
amost justified. This was very very impressive since the constant spacing
was really visible.

--
        ,--._
     //   \    ( ,,  ,, ''   `)    Thomas Baruchel
   //        ~.   `._,,   ,'  <address@hidden>
                   \  \                 Brest
                  _/ _/