RE: [Groff] sqtroff migration to groff

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] sqtroff migration to groff
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:42:33 -0000 (GMT)

On 08-Feb-02 Andy Crichton wrote:
> All,
> Background: We currently have a box running sqtroff
> on SCO unix and wish at some point to migrate the
> macros to groff on sparc-solaris7.
>
> 1)    Is there a source of sqtroff binaries in existence
>       for sparc-solaris7
> 2)    Are there any resources describing the major
>       functionality differences between sqtroff and groff

Wow! It's years since I used sqtroff (in fact it was my
first troff). But I still have some of the reference docs
from the mid-80s.

As I recall, the extensions of standard UNIX troff which
were in sqtroff were similar to a subset of the groff
extensions. One particular difference was that long
names were in {...} rather than [...]; this would not be
difficult to port to groff. I don't recall any major
things in sqtroff which clashed fundamentally with
the way groff does them. But I'd have to look up the
docs for the detail.

As for migrating macros: this might be a finicky job,
but is almost certainly possible. Again, one would
need to lok at the detail. Can you provide more detail?

I have no idea about availablity of sqtroff binaries
for sparc-solaris7.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>