Re: [Groff] An environment variable for enabling compatibility mode

From: ralph
Subject: Re: [Groff] An environment variable for enabling compatibility mode
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:54:34 +0000

Hi Bernd,

> > How does this improve on groff's -C option which it currently
> > passes onto all the pipeline commands?
>
> Not at all.  This is the implementation of the -C option as an
> environment variable.

So, in other words, you're saying you have a legacy troff document,
along with a shell script containing commands like `pic' and `tbl' and
you want to be able to run said script but still tell groff to be in
compatible-mode via an environment variable.

> > I still think that's the case because, as Jon said, we end up with
> > documents that use some groff extensions, so we can't use -C, but
> > we don't want them to break with future groffs.
>
> That's a different topic; this is worth to have a thread of its own.
> I'm speaking only about compatibility to classical pre-groff
> compatibility.  That's what -C is about.

OK, I understand now.  Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, although I
think it's a small subset of multi-compatibility flags.  I'll go and
start my own  ;-)

Ralph.