Re: [Groff] more on ellipsis...

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] more on ellipsis...
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:29:06 -0000 (GMT)

On 28-Jan-02 Bernd Warken wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:19:41PM +0000, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
>> Just heard from the Style Editor of The Guardian:
>> >
>> > No full stop. We would just finish the sentence with ellipsis, like
>> > this ...
>>
>> INSERT INTO pigeons (data) VALUES ('cat')
>>
> There is a problem to implement this.  To correctly handle the end of
> a sentence, a full stop must be provided.  The ellipsis does not know
> about this.  To satisfy both the 4- and the 3-dotters, we could define
> another char \[ell2] that prints only two dots with the right spacing.
>
> This prints 3 dots at the end \[ell2].
> This prints 4 dots at the end \[ell].

The end-of-sentence business can be handled by the
".cflags" request, e.g.

  .cflags 1 .?!\[ell]

without introducing an extra character.

However, there is another use for \[ell2], which is
to allow the Russian practice of !.. and ?.. as well
as the usual end-of-sentence ... so there is a point
in having \[ell2] anyway; thereafter, users have all
they options they are likely to need in this business
most provoking of perverse idiosyncracy!...

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972