Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man

From: Rick Richardson
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff_ms.man
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:21:14 -0600

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:43:16AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> After some thinking, I wonder whether think the following is the right
> one:
>
>   .char \[...] .\|.\|.
>
> Note that there is no `\&' at the end.  Similar to a sentence stop,
> the user has to decide whether the ellipsis is ending a sentence or
> not.  So the relevant grammatical question is whether an ellipsis
> really ends a sentence -- I've already seen a solution which uses
> four dots instead of three to mark that.
>
> Please comment.  Is there any reference for that?

Werner:

What a can of worms you have opened.  Another issue with this
definition is that the size of the space is debatable.  Here's a nice
little summary of many of the issues:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=39862186%40cnews&output=gplain

And that article doesn't even touch on the "proper" spacing when the
ellipsis is used to replace characters within a word.

It seems one could write a whole book on the history and typographical
use of the ellipsis.

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson  address@hidden        http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/