Re: [Groff] german localization

From: Sigfrid Lundberg, Netlab
Subject: Re: [Groff] german localization
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:27:21 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Bernd Warken wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:45:22AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> >
> > > I've got two request .hpf (set hyphenation patter file) and .hla (set
> > > hyphenation language). Now (excuse me if this a FAQ) how do I connect
> > > language (the hla) to the file (the hpf)?
> >
> >   .hla language1
> >   .hpf patterns-for-language1
> >   .
> >   .hla language2
> >   .hpf patterns-for-language2
> >   .
> >   .hla language1
> >   ... text using hyphenation patterns for language1 ...
> >   .
> >   .hla language2
> >   ... text using hyphenation patterns for language2 ...
> >
> So should there be 2 pattern files for German (1901 and 1998)?

It seems to be that easy. If I set the hyphenation language to

.hla german1901

Then all exceptions defined by .hw and the file read by .hpf will be bound
to that language.

I can then set

 .hla german1998

and define new exceptions, and read another pattern file.

further on in the document it is just to set

.hla german1998

or

.hla german1901

as often as needed.

This first seemed clumsy to me, but since you connect both exception (.hw)
and the hyphenation file this way, it does make sense. Methinks

Sigfrid