Re: [Groff] Book suggestions for troff.org

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Book suggestions for troff.org
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 15:30:37 +0000

Hi Mark,

> Here are a few suggestions for the "Books covering troff..." section.
> I know you already have the Emerson and Christian books, but these
> citations have a bit more information. Also included (in the copy to
> Ralph but not to the list) are scans of the covers.

Many thanks for these.  I've made use of nearly all of them.  The site
has now appeared at http://troff.org/ but I haven't announced it
anywhere yet.

> Document Formatting and Typesetting on the UNIX System, 2nd Ed.
> Narain Gehani
> mm macros, tbl, pic, eqn, wwb tools. Very brief discussions of raw
> troff, ideal, grap, ms & mv macros, and refer.
>
> Document Formatting and Typesetting on the UNIX System
>  Volume II: grap, mv, ms, & troff
> Narain Gehani & Steven Lally
> Just as the title says: in-depth coverage of items only touched upon
> in the first volume. The raw troff chapter has many macro writing
> examples.

Both of these mention the `mv' macros.  Anyone know more about them?
I'm only familiar with the main mm, ms, me, and man.

> I have another reference, to one of those "Everything about Unix"
> books that I bought when I was foolish (but not young enough to be
> able to use that as an excuse). It has enough errors that I don't
> think it deserves a spot on the web page, but if you really want an
> exhaustive list I can find it and give you the info and a cover scan.

I think you're right to omit it.  I have to draw a line somewhere and
dropping the Unix reference books that have a passing mention of troff
seems a good place to do it.

Cheers,

Ralph.