[Groff] Book suggestions for troff.org

From: Mark Lawrence
Subject: [Groff] Book suggestions for troff.org
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 23:00:31 -0600

Here are a few suggestions for the "Books covering troff..." section.
I know you already have the Emerson and Christian books, but these
citations have a bit more information. Also included (in the copy to
Ralph but not to the list) are scans of the covers. Take

troff Typesetting for UNIX Systems
Sandra L. Emerson & Karen Paulsell
Prentice-Hall, 1987
ISBN 0-13-930959-4
Emphasis on raw troff and macro writing. Some discussion of mm and man
macros; more of ms macros. One chapter covering both tbl and eqn.

The Unix Text Processing System
Kaare Christian
Wiley-Interscience, 1987
ISBN 0-471-85581-2
Seven chapters on troff and friends: raw troff, ms & mm macros, eqn,
tbl, refer, and pic.

Document Formatting and Typesetting on the UNIX System, 2nd Ed.
Narain Gehani
Silicon Press, 1987
ISBN 0-9615336-2-5
mm macros, tbl, pic, eqn, wwb tools. Very brief discussions of raw
troff, ideal, grap, ms & mv macros, and refer.

Document Formatting and Typesetting on the UNIX System
 Volume II: grap, mv, ms, & troff
Narain Gehani & Steven Lally
Silicon Press, 1988
ISBN 0-9615336-3-3
Just as the title says: in-depth coverage of items only touched upon
in the first volume. The raw troff chapter has many macro writing
examples.

Unix in a Nutshell System V Edition
Daniel Gilly
O'Reilly & Associates, 1992
ISBN 1-56592-001-5
Just the facts: command summaries for raw troff, mm, ms, and me
macros, tbl, eqn,, and pic.

I have another reference, to one of those "Everything about Unix"
books that I bought when I was foolish (but not young enough to be
able to use that as an excuse). It has enough errors that I don't think it
deserves a spot on the web page, but if you really want an exhaustive
list I can find it and give you the info and a cover scan.

--
Mark Lawrence
www.unified-eng.com