Re: [Groff] Better Images for HTML.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Better Images for HTML.
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 17:29:52 +0100 (CET)

> > Perhaps it would be worth -Thtml using the *AlphaBits options too?
>
> take care with this. *AlphaBits has only been explicitly supported
> in fairly recent versions, and in some 6.x releases only worked for
> certain devices.

Hmm, according to the history files of gs, *AlphaBits is available
since 3.61 (from 12/10/95) for PPM and PGM devices.  It should work
since 4.02 (9/19/96).  Nevertheless, as command line options it is
there since 5.82 (4/24/99) -- more than two years ago.  It shouldn't
be too difficult to add a small PS prologue which sets the *AlphaBits
device parameters using `putdeviceprops' (see ghostscript's
Language.html for more details) instead of the command line options to
be backwards compatible.  I don't know whether it is worth the
trouble.