Re: [Groff] inconsistent synopsis for .MAILTO

From: Rick Richardson
Subject: Re: [Groff] inconsistent synopsis for .MAILTO
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 05:25:50 -0600

I might as well check in with my opinion...

        .LINK [<url> [<description>]]

e.g.

        .LINK http://www.dot.com/joecool/home.html "My Home Page"

and also:

        .LINK http://www.dot.com/joecool/home.html
        Home Page for
        Silly Groff Tricks
        .LINK

Thats one macro name to remember, no special characters to remember
or type, and it works with short or long text.  No?

Then there are the bonus "convenience" versions, for people like me
that hate to type one letter more than I have to:

        .HTTP [<shortened-url> [<description>]]
        .FTP [<shortened-url> [<description>]]

e.g.

        .HTTP www.dot.com/joecool/home.html "My Home Page"

and also:

        .HTTP www.dot.com/joecool/home.html
        Home Page for
        Silly Groff Tricks
        .HTTP

N.B. gnome-terminal, for one, recognizes all of the above as links, so
no problems with testing the links from, say, vim.

-Rick (I have been known to yank and put single letters, to avoid typing :-)

--
Rick Richardson  address@hidden        http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/
Stock information at your fingertips:   http://linuxtrade.0catch.com/

High oil prices encourage drilling and alternative energy research.