Re: [Groff] more html macros needed

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] more html macros needed
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:24:49 -0000 (GMT)

On 02-Jan-02 Bernd Warken wrote:
> We could define macros for single line arguments and other ones that
> stretch over several lines.
>
>>   ./cyrillic
>>
>> (Name conventions clearly inspired by HTML!).
>
> Fine, another possibility is
>
> .macro
>
> for single line args and
>
> .<macro
> .>macro
>
> for the extended macro.

Am I misunderstanding, or are you misunderstanding?
The point of

  .cyrillic
  ./cyrillic

is that '.cyrillic' puts troff into a new state until
countermanded. './cyrillic' undoes this, reverting to
the previous state. I don't see '.cyrillic' as an instance
of a macro "with arguments that extend over several lines".

On the other hand, regarding the suggestion

  .<macro
  .>macro

for a macro with arguments that extend over several lines,
what's wrong with

  .macro These are the first agruments \
  and these are more arguments \
  and these are the rest of the arguments

Since there is already a perfectly good (and simple)
mechanism for doing this, why invent a new one?

Or, if you are thinking of each succeeding line
as a string-valued single argument to '.macro',
again what is wrong with

  .macro "This is the first argument" \
  "This is the second argument" \
  "And this is the final argument"

??
Again, there's already a straightforward and simple
way to do it!

Or have I missed the point altogether?

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>