Re: [Groff] First Draft of troff.org.

From: Rick Richardson
Subject: Re: [Groff] First Draft of troff.org.
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 13:51:58 -0600

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 06:46:31PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> I've got the troff.org domain name (it became free a few months ago)
> and have a draft set of content for its web site visible at
>
>     http://www.inputplus.co.uk/troff/

For the list of books produced with troff, don't forget the TCP/IP
Illustrated series by W. Richard Stevens, perhaps the most complex
books ever produced with troff *and* hand cobbled "pic".  Stevens once
sent me 3 chapters of the awesome troff source for vol 1.  He was an
amazing guy.  A moment of silence for the grandmaster of the tool.

Volume 1:

"Camera-ready copy of the book was produced by the author, a Troff
die-hard, using the Groff package written by James Clark."

Volume 2:

"Camera-ready copy of the book was produced by the authors. It is only
fitting that a book describing an industrial-strength software system
be produced with an industrial-strength text processing system.
Therefore one of the authors chose to use the Groff package written by
James Clark, and the other author agreed begrudgingly."

Volume 3:

"As usual, camera-ready copy of the book was produced by the author, a
Troff die-hard, using the Groff package written by James Clark"

Wait! It doesn't stop there.  Another fine testimonial...

UNIX Network Programming: Interprocess Communications, Vol. 2

"I produced camera-ready copy of the book (PostScript), which was then
typeset for the final book. The formatting system used was James
Clark`s wonderful groff package, on a SparcStation running Solaris
2.6. (Reports of troff`s death are greatly exaggerated.) I typed in
all 138,897 words using the vi editor, created the 72 illustrations
using the gpic program (using many of Gary Wright`s macros), produced
the 35 tables using the gtbl program, performed all the indexing
(using a set of awk scripts written by Jon Bentley and Brian
Kernighan), and did the final page layout. Dave Hanson`s loom program,
the GNU indent program, and some scripts by Gary Wright were used to
include the 8,046 lines of C source code in the book."

--
Rick Richardson  address@hidden        http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/
Stock information at your fingertips:   http://linuxtrade.0catch.com/

"The only person I'm certain had nothing to do with it is Al Gore."
-- Sandy K. Lerner on the history of Cisco