Re: [Groff] Rendering \(oq in ASCII and ISO 8859-1

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Rendering \(oq in ASCII and ISO 8859-1
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:09:59 +0100 (CET)

> > It is quite easy to write a small macro package (to be loaded
> > after all other macro packages or to be put into troffrc-end)
> > which translate "`" to "'" if wished, but I don't like this as the
> > default for groff.
>
> Well, I think this is a shame for the sake of quality output with
> modern X fonts,

What exactly is a `shame'?  It's not clear to me how the `official'
groff handling should affect Debian.  It's really easy to have a
Debian `man-local' and `mdoc-local' which do

  .if n \
  .  if !'\*[.T]'utf8' \
  .    tr \[oq]'

or something similar and you get what you want.

> but I'm unwilling to make Debian's groff package produce different
> output from official groff.

Maybe this is something for the `man' maintainer.

> I suppose I should work on making UTF-8 more widespread instead (man
> needs some improvements in this regard).

This is always an excellent idea.