Re: [Groff] inconsistency between .R and \*R in man.tmac

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] inconsistency between .R and \*R in man.tmac
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:44:57 +0000

Hi Werner,

> .de1 R
> \c
> .ie \\n[.$] \{\
> .  tm `R' is a string (producing the copyright sign), not a function.
> .  nop \\$*
> .\}
> .el \{\
> .  ie c\[rg] \
> .    nop \[rg]\c
> .  el \
> .    nop (Reg.)\c
> .\}
> ..
> .
> This is
> .R a test.
> .br
> This is a test with the \*R sign.

Seems OK.  I added

    .br
    This is the macro with no args
    .R
    end

The terminal message should refer to `registered', not copyright.  And
would it be better to say `macro' rather than `function'?

Yours looks similar to my, now deleted, version.  I can't see what I
did wrong :-(  But I was getting what I thought should be a conditional
statement appearing as output in one test case.

One last thing, is c\(rg dependent on the current font?  This test
normally only happens once when -man is sourced rather than every time
\*R is used.  Perhaps the test should define an an-reg string which is
used later?

Cheers,

Ralph.