Re: [Groff] Rendering \(oq in ASCII and ISO 8859-1

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Rendering \(oq in ASCII and ISO 8859-1
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:17:01 +0000

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 09:30:55PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > > Could \(oq in devascii and devlatin1 be changed to produce 0x27?
> >
> > I for one would be unhappy for `quotes' to be indistinguishable on tty
> > output.
>
> Me too.  It is quite easy to write a small macro package (to be
> loaded after all other macro packages or to be put into troffrc-end)
> which translate "`" to "'" if wished, but I don't like this as the
> default for groff.

Well, I think this is a shame for the sake of quality output with modern
X fonts, but I'm unwilling to make Debian's groff package produce
different output from official groff. I suppose I should work on making
UTF-8 more widespread instead (man needs some improvements in this
regard).

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden