Re: [Groff] Rendering \(oq in ASCII and ISO 8859-1

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Rendering \(oq in ASCII and ISO 8859-1
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 20:53:33 +0000

Hi Branden,

> > > groff currently renders the single open quote character, \(oq, as
> > > ` (ASCII 0x60) in ASCII and Latin-1. According to
> > > http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/quotes.html, this is
> > > incorrect:
> >
> > But de facto under Unix.
>
> Not when using my DEC VT520, and I think any DEC terminal back to the
> VT220.

I'll try and make that clearer.  It is normal, traditional, and
typical, for troff under Unix to use the two 7-bit ASCII single quotes
for left and right.

    0047   39    0x27    '
    0140   96    0x60    `

It gives two distinct characters.

I agree that on some annoying terminals, and I think DEC's are included
here from memory of a VMS system used for playing rogue :-) the `left'
quote appears as a vertical single quote.  That's why Lear Siegler's
ADM 11s were so much better ;-)

I presume that's what you mean?

But even then, although it looks awkward, at least it is distinct from
'.

Cheers,

Ralph.