Re: [Groff] better fix for bad tables (ignore previous)

From: Rick Richardson
Subject: Re: [Groff] better fix for bad tables (ignore previous)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:11:37 -0600

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 12:43:03PM +0000, Gaius Mulley wrote:

> oops a better solution is here, (sorry about the previous patch)
> This time if the user alters the pagelength in devps/DESC grohtml
> will scale the vertical offset appropriately,
>
> Gaius

Hmm.  Now this is interesting.  I applied the patch, and I also added
a printf so I could see what the code was doing:

        static void createImage (imageItem *i)
        {
          if (i->X1 != -1) {
                  fprintf(stderr, "vo=%d\n", vertical_offset);

First case.  I ran the test using -P-o0 -P-i150:

  $ /usr/local/test/bin/groff -P-i150 -P-o0 -t -man -Thtml xxx.1 > xxx.html
  vo=0

The first attachment is the image output from this command.  The image
looks very good.  The top of the image appears to start in the right
place, and the bottom appears to be in the right place.

Well, says I, then how can we improve on success?  So I run the second
case, letting pre-grohtml select the offset it thinks is correct:

  $ /usr/local/test/bin/groff -P-i150 -t -man -Thtml lin*.1 > xxx.html
  vo=49

The second attachment is the image output from this command.  The
image doesn't look as good.  The top of the image starts in the exact
same place as before (correct), but the bottom of the image is
clipping the "g".

So, it still works better if I force the -P-o0 option.

For reference, here is the DESC, as installed by "make install"

        $ pwd
        /usr/local/test/share/groff/1.18/font/devps
        $ cat DESC
        res 72000
        hor 1
        vert 1
        sizescale 1000
        unitwidth 1000
        sizes 1000-10000000 0
        styles R I B BI
        family T
        fonts 9 0 0 0 0 0 SS S ZD ZDR
        tcommand
        postpro grops
        broken 7
        paperlength 792000
        print lpr

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson  address@hidden        http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/
Stock information at your fingertips:   http://linuxtrade.0catch.com/

In its earliest years, access to Usenet required "Level 5 geek
clearance".  The same people that could get a feed also could get
marijuana. -- Richard Sexton