Re: [Groff] Bad table images with groff -t -man -Thtml xxx.1

From: Rick Richardson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bad table images with groff -t -man -Thtml xxx.1
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 01:31:53 -0600

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 01:07:53PM -0600, Rick Richardson wrote:

> I tried running the attached manual page thru groff to produce HTML.
>
> The command I used was:
>
>       $ groff -t -man -Thtml xxx.1 > xxx.html
>
> The groff is from RH 7.2:
>
>       $ groff -Thtml --version
>               GNU groff version 1.17.2
>               GNU soelim (groff) version 1.17.2
>               GNU post-grohtml (groff) version 1.17.2
>               GNU pre-grohtml (groff) version 1.17.2
>
> The manual page HTML ends up with two problems:
>
> 1) No vertical space between paragraphs
>
> 2) The table image is completely wrong.  It looks like a
>    clipping of what on the manual page from about 1" lower.
>
> This latter problem is the one I really want help with.
> Is there some magic option I need to make the image clipping
> align with the table?

And the answer to my question is to use this command line with groff
version 1.17.2:

        groff -P-o0 -t -man -Thtml xxx.1 > xxx.html

This gave good results with the test manual page I attached, as well
as with my full manual page (other than the missing paragraph
spacing).

Unfortuantely, groff-current (pre 1.18?) as of today cannot be used.
It creates a real mess of output with lots of horizontal lines
throughout.

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson  address@hidden      http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/
Twin Cities traffic animations are at http://tctraffic.0catch.com/

If you write code that needs comments at the end of a line,
your code is crap. -- Linus Torvalds