Re: [Groff] inconsistency between .R and \*R in man.tmac

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] inconsistency between .R and \*R in man.tmac
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:48:52 +0100

> It seems clear `registered' is the Bell Labs/System V way, but what
> initially invented the other interpretation that you'd prefer to keep?

I don't know.  I've actually never seen *any* manpage macros
(not even the groff ones) that implement ".R" for "roman".
It had just occured to me that if I had originally written
the macros, I'd have used "R" for "roman" and not "registered"
(like for example mm does).

My guess is that the author of the manpage simply assumed ".R"
was missing from the description and added it to the manpage
without checking whether it was really implemented.

> It seems that scraping .R and keeping \*R is what would be compatible
> with the man pages out there.

Agreed.