Re: [Groff] groffview shell script

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] groffview shell script
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 17:12:43 +0000

Hi,

> > If `xset q' doesn't report the actual font path your X server is
> > using then either xset or your X server is broken.
>
> Plain X is rarely found today.  KDE and Gnome do their best to
> implement automatic configurations that overcome things like xset or
> xdpyinfo.  We might simply trust that once things like resolution
> will automatically happen with the free systems.

??? How much do you know about the X Window System?  At its core, the X
server needs to find fonts, and will do that using the font path.  KDE,
etc., are just things that sit on top of X.  And are you now suggesting
that as well as man requiring -x, we also need to be running KDE?

You want to end the conversation -- fine.  But AFAICS you don't know
this aspect of X and are choosing to ignore it.

Ralph.