Re: [Groff] groffview shell script

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] groffview shell script
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 13:20:38 +0100

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 04:21:17AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> Yes, you might have to do that, unless you can manage to use 'man -w'
> only if it's available. Bear in mind that various systems lay out their
> manual pages differently: HP-UX has directories of compressed man pages
> like <mandir>/man1.Z/, while IRIX omits the section extension on man
> page filenames: at least, that's what the man-db source says, although I
> haven't actually checked recently. It requires some care but isn't
> impossible.

Thank you.  That could be checked.  Fortunately, the .Z-compression is
automatically done by zcat.

> Are you planning to implement locale-specific manpaths (i.e.
> MANPATH=/usr/share/man and LANG=de_DE causes man pages to be looked up
> in /usr/share/man/de/man* first), or does that come under the heading of
> "more sophisticated searchings"?

This is automatically done by `man -w'.  Beyond that I do not plan any
actions because the systems that implement locale support should be
modern enough to provide some path detection mechanism comparable to
-w.

Bernd Warken