[Groff] options for groffview

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: [Groff] options for groffview
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 05:06:18 +0100

Maybe it is a good idea to harmonize the options of groffview with
those of groff.  Unfortunately, there aren't many letters left.

For the --source option (displaying the source files on stdout) I've
chosen the letter 'q' (from German `Quellcode' for `source').  It
seems to be unused in groff; troff, however, recognizes this option,
but ignores it.  Is it safe to use 'q'?

'Q' seems to be totally unused.  So this would be a safe alternative.

The announced option -c|--stdout is not really needed.  I'll replace
this by -Tdevice, i.e. if -T is specified everything goes to plain
stdout (except -TX*).

A problem is the parsing of options with arguments.  So the option
strings of groff must also be used in groffview (and should be used
in grog as well).  This has the disadvantage that each option change
in groff or troff must also be done in groffview and grog.

A long time ago, I started a project to automatically synchronize
such situations, but it's a lot of work to get this done.  No time
for this now, sorry.

Bernd Warken