Re: [Groff] man pages for macro packages

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] man pages for macro packages
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:13:12 +0100

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 02:41:41PM -0800, Redman Jack wrote:

> >You can find them in the ./doc subdirectory of the
> groff source package.
> >There are 2 files, meintro.me and meref.me.  You can
> read them e.g. with the
> >shell command
> >
> >groff -me -TX100 meintro.me | gxditview
> >
> >or
> >
> >groff -me -Tlatin1 meref.me | less
>
> I tried this and got the message "No such file or
> directory." I tried find
> with the same results.  Groff was installed from a Red
> Hat RPM.  I wonder if
> Red Hat didn't put those files in it?

You must have the groff source package.  Get this by at
ftp://ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff/groff-1.17.2.tar.gz or newer versions
in the subdirectory devel/ there.  Extract the archive by

tar xzf groff-1.17.2.tar.gz -C /usr/local/src
cd /usr/local/src/groff-1.17.2/doc

There you can run the above commands.  They work on my computer.

> I think all of the documentation should be readily
> available.  This includes
> the AT&T docs as well if that's possible.  A groff_doc
> package would be a good
> way to do this.

I agree.  But the me manuals could also be installed by the normal
groff `make install', e.g. into <prefix>/share/doc/groff.

Bernd Warken