Re: [Groff] man pages for macro packages

From: Redman Jack
Subject: Re: [Groff] man pages for macro packages
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:41:41 -0800 (PST)

>Writing a documentation is the best way to learn
about a program,
>so you are welcome :-)

How did I know someone was going to say this? :-)
Ok If there are no objections I'll give it a shot
although it will take a while.

> The help browsers are section based, so you won't
get all in one chunk.  I
> think it will be easier to find a macro man-page if
these all start with
> tmac_* instead of being mixed with the language
groff_* man-pages once you
> are used to it.

Ooops! Talk about putting your foot in it!  It never
occurred to me that the
table of contents were the man page sections under
other names.

>You can find them in the ./doc subdirectory of the
groff source package.
>There are 2 files, meintro.me and meref.me.  You can
read them e.g. with the
>shell command
>
>groff -me -TX100 meintro.me | gxditview
>
>or
>
>groff -me -Tlatin1 meref.me | less

I tried this and got the message "No such file or
directory." I tried find
with the same results.  Groff was installed from a Red
Hat RPM.  I wonder if
Red Hat didn't put those files in it?

>Unfortunately, they are not installed by default.  I
think we should
>make them installed
>1) as .me with a README how to read them and a shell
script for
>xdit'ing
>2) as .html's with an index.html
>3) maybe all man-pages and the info file should be
html'ed as well
>4) it could be good to put all of these extra
documents in a package of
>   its own, groff_doc.

I think all of the documentation should be readily
available.  This includes
the AT&T docs as well if that's possible.  A groff_doc
package would be a good
way to do this.

Jack Redman