Re: [Groff] man pages for macro packages

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] man pages for macro packages
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:48:09 +0000

Hi Bernd,

> > > There are many groff_* man pages by now.  We could appease the
> > > situation by renaming all man pages of macro packages to tmac_*,
> > > e.g.  groff_man.7 -> tmac_man.7

> So far, there is no direct clash, but the user will have a hard time
> to fiddle out what man-pages she should read - there are so many with
> prefix groff_*.

When learning a new package with many man pages, e.g. netpbm, I start
with the first obvious man page and use the SEE ALSO section at the end
to guide me onto related subjects.

groff(1) does mention groff_me(7), groff_ms(7), etc.  But it isn't a
complete list.  Perhaps it needs updating?

Cheers,

Ralph.