Re: [Groff] man pages for macro packages

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] man pages for macro packages
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:03:54 +0100

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 11:35:17PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > There are many groff_* man pages by now.  We could appease the
> > situation by renaming all man pages of macro packages to tmac_*,
> > e.g. groff_man.7 -> tmac_man.7
>
> The ideal solution is to to have man.7, mdoc.7, etc. without any
> prefix.  We should probably contact the various manpage maintainers to
> ask whether it is reasonable to replace/merge the (mostly outdated)
> man pages with the ones coming with groff.  At least under Linux and
> {Free|Net|Open}BSD I think this is a good idea IMHO since these
> platforms all use groff AFAIK.
>
> Any volunteer to do that?

I have already contacted the guys of man(7) some weeks ago when there
was a discussion on the groff mail list to better specify how man pages
should look.

I had the impressions that the man(7) authors would not want to change
anything and did not like groff extensions anyway.  Maybe someone else
should give it another try.  I could imagine that one of the cracks that
were formerly responsable for the commercial man pages would make more
impression.  So would someone of the grey eminences like to act as an
undercover agent for groff?

Bernd Warken