Re: [Groff] new groff_differences.man

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] new groff_differences.man
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 16:56:43 +0000

Hi Werner,

> How does this limit affect operation?  Are the file names truncated
> to 14 characters, cutting off the last characters?

`It depends' :-)

creat, etc., on old systems used to silently truncate.  Then BSD
introduced ENAMETOOLONG.  Then POSIX came along and said that there was
a constant which said whether to truncate or not, and irrespective or
that it can also vary of a per-filesystem basis, sometimes returning
ENAMETOOLONG.

This is all a bit hazy because I haven't had to deal with it for a
while but you get the idea;  it depends.

Ralph.